Middle school can be a difficult time for students; students have more independence but their bodies and brains are changing. Students are also in the midst of a second big wave of brain development, and students need SEL to help them gain confidence and learn about healthy relationships.
This SEL planner was designed just for 8th grade students, with 8th grade brains, emotions, and social interactions in mind.
Take a look at the features of this grade 8 SEL planner
Flip Through this grade 8 planner for more examples:
Students learn all 5 CASEL competencies including:
- Self-awareness through identifying strengths, learning emotional vocabulary, and teaching growth mindset.
- Self-management with an emphasis on self-reflection, an introduction to the locus of control, and practicing goal-setting.
- Responsible decision-making by learning about the decision-making process and practicing decision-making with SEL stories.
- Relationship skills including healthy relationships and friendships, as well as peer pressure, creating boundaries and being an upstander.
- Social awareness like empathy, perspective-taking, and being inclusive.
- Key settings are supported through a home-school connection in the learning log.
All lessons are accessible and appropriate for a range of diverse learners in a multitude of school settings.
This 8th grade planner is a culmination of the activities and learning that students have been practicing throughout the middle school Seltrove planners. This 8th grade planner allows students more freedom and open-ended activities to practice what they are learning by digging into each skill and competency in a grade-appropriate way. At the end of this year, students will be ready to jump into the high school Seltrove planners to continue their SEL development
- Learning Log or Homework Log
- Goal-setting and goal reflection lessons
- Lessons, book suggestions, and activity pages for each of the four themes/competencies
- A review and reflection lesson at the end of each theme
- SEL Resources in the back of the planners including real-world case studies, SEL reflection checklist, Mindfulness resources, and other age-appropriate SEL-specific resources for students
- Blank notes pages and coloring/creative expression pages
Additionally Planners also include:
- Engaging Lessions
- SEL Resources
- Fun Activities
- Goal Setting
- SEL Stories
- CASEL-aligned lessons and activities
- Logically sequenced lessons and activities
- Student planners include appropriately sequenced activities that target each CASEL competency.
- Accessible and appropriate lessons for diverse learners
- Opportunities for students to use their strengths as an individual
- Encourages safe communication and collaboration with peers
- Opportunities for students to self-monitor their progress
- Student-centered activities with real-world applications
- Giving students leadership and responsibility for their learning