Middle school can be a difficult time for students; students have more independence but their bodies and brains are changing. This is the beginning of the second big wave of brain development, and students need SEL to help them gain confidence and learn about healthy relationships.
This SEL planner was designed just for 6th grade students, with 6th grade brains, emotions, and social interactions in mind.
Take a look at the features of this grade 6 SEL planner
Flip Through this grade 6 planner for more examples:
Students learn all 5 CASEL competencies including:
- Self-awareness through identifying strengths, learning emotional vocabulary, and teaching growth mindset.
- Self-management with an emphasis on self-reflection, an introduction to the locus of control, and practicing goal-setting.
- Responsible decision-making by learning about the decision-making process and practicing decision-making with SEL stories.
- Relationship skills including healthy relationships and friendships, as well as peer pressure, creating boundaries and being an upstander.
- Social awareness like empathy, perspective-taking, and being inclusive.
- Key settings are supported through a home-school connection in the learning log.
This 6th grade planner is the first step in the middle school Seltrove planners that scaffolds SEL skills for students. By using this planner and then continuing to the 7th and 8th grade planners in consecutive years, students will develop skills through a scaffolded, hands-on approach.
Planners also include:
- Learning Log or Homework Log
- Goal-setting and goal reflection lessons
- Lessons, book suggestions, and activity pages for each of the four themes/competencies
- A review and reflection lesson at the end of each theme
- SEL Resources in the back of the planners including real-world case studies, SEL reflection checklist, Mindfulness resources, and other age-appropriate SEL-specific resources for students
- Blank notes pages and coloring/creative expression pages
Additionally Planners also include:
- Engaging Lessions
- SEL Resources
- Fun Activities
- Goal Setting
- SEL Stories
- CASEL-aligned lessons and activities
- Logically sequenced lessons and activities
- Student planners include appropriately sequenced activities that target each CASEL competency.
- Accessible and appropriate lessons for diverse learners
- Opportunities for students to use their strengths as an individual
- Encourages safe communication and collaboration with peers
- Opportunities for students to self-monitor their progress
- Student-centered activities with real-world applications
- Giving students leadership and responsibility for their learning
Common questions about Using this Planner
Question: What training does a teacher need to use this planner?Answer: This SEL planner is classroom-ready and requires no SEL training on the teacher's part.
Question: How long is each lesson?
Answer: Lessons take about 10-15 minutes to complete. Each lesson also includes extension activities that are optional.
Lessons are designed to flow easily into busy school days and easily integrate into busy teacher's schedules.
Question: How do my students use this planner?
Answer: Lessons can be completed during class time individually, in small groups, or as a class. They are also designed to be done at home with minimal parent/guardian support. All lessons are accessible and appropriate for a range of diverse learners in a multitude of school settings.
No teacher preparation is required to use these SEL planners!